Write Rhode Island!’s Our Lives Now flash non-fiction program, a co-creation of School One and local authors Hester Kaplan and Taylor Polites, is for Rhode Island students.
1) All submissions must be the written work of Rhode Island residents or students enrolled in Rhode Island schools in grades 7 through 12 or equivalent for the 2019-2020 academic year. Limited to one entry per person. Each entry must be an original and unpublished work.
2) Flash non-fiction submissions should be a true, non-fiction reflection on some experience or observation of the changes in your life and daily routine that have occurred during the Covid-19 outbreak, an extraordinary event that has changed the way we all live. Please keep in mind these will be published online to a wide audience. Be respectful of the privacy of others and change names, locations, and other identifying information where appropriate.
3) Submissions must be double-spaced, 12 pt font, no more than 400 words in length and submitted as a .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or .txt file.
4) Submitters should include their name, the name of their school, and email address on the submission.
5) Submissions must be completed and submitted by midnight June 15, 2020.
6) Writers are invited to submit one photograph that they have taken as a companion to their flash non-fiction piece. This is not required for submission.
All submissions will be included in RICovidArchive.org, a digital archive co-managed by the Providence Public Library and Rhode Island Historical Society. Selected submissions may be published online on Write Rhode Island!’s social media accounts, website, and in print publications.